Show Me The Money!

Am I the only one who really saw the movie Jerry McGuire?

That hit movie starring Tom Cruise had everyone repeating the famous line, "Show me the money!"

I didn't watch the movie for nearly one year after it was released because I thought it was all about greed. Since everyone who saw the movie smiled and repeated that one line --- "Show me the money!" --- as if it were some sort of national mantra, I wasn't interested.

But then one day Nerissa and I wanted to watch something on television. As luck would have it, Jerry McGuire was coming on the tube right about then. So we settled in to watch it.

I was amazed. The movie wasn.t about greed at all. Yes, Jerry came from a money-hungry place, but he soon learned that that mindset wasn't going to work.

Greed was out.

Greed was a dead-end street.

Greed led to a poverty of spirit.

Instead, Jerry the sports agent learns about the power of passion. When he truly starts to care for his client, to look for and activate the heart in the one player he represents (who does the same for him), then and only then does he start to taste real success and start to experience real happiness.

Oh, there's no doubt the refrain "Show me the money!" is a catchy one. It.s done so well in the movie, and said so often, and delivered with such upbeat emotion in the one unforgettable scene, that you can't help but remember it.

But that's not what the movie is about. Not to me. The movie is about show me your heart, not show me your money.

Giving is like that.

If you give because you want money, you are not giving but simply trading.

If you give because your heart sings to do so, then you are truly giving.

It's the difference between "Show me the money!" and "Show me your heart."

The universe responds to your heart, not your money. The money is just a symbol.

Give money from your heart.

When you do, very quickly and in the most surprising ways, the universe itself will then "Show you the money!"

But don't give to get. Don't give as a negotiation with the universe.

Give to give.


0 Responses to "Show Me The Money!"