Leo Buscaglia's Big Mistake

I met Leo Buscaglia many years ago. He was the charming, passionate, and colorful author of the best-selling book, Love. He once said in a lecture, "I own the copyright on love!"

He was a loveable man. His words warmed my heart and inspired my soul. Marian, my wife at the time, and I used to watch Leo on television. He inspired us.

We were learning about tithing at the time. I was very skeptical.

I still thought giving was a scheme. But Marian was always more open-minded and trusting than me. She practiced giving more than I did in those early years.

One day, when Marian looked around to see who she was going to send money to, she easily remembered Leo Buscaglia. She wanted to thank him for all his sharing, and for reminding her through his books and talks to always live a life of love.

So Marian found his address and sent him a check. I remember how happy she looked as she wrote him a note and mailed him the gift. Her heart was alive.

But then something sad happened.

A few weeks later, Marian received a letter from Leo Buscaglia.

He had returned her check. He added a note that said he had plenty and didn't want or need more, so please give the check to someone in need.

Marian was hurt. She was offended. She felt rejected. She saw the refusal of the gift as a dismissal of her. It was a sad moment.

While we could talk about Marian's response to the letter she received, my point here is more about Leo's action. I think Leo made a mistake. In order to be in the flow of life, you must give as well as receive. Leo cut off the flow.

Much later I learned --- from Leo himself --- that he had experienced several robberies. His house had been broken into and his belongings taken. It happened to him at least twice that I recall.

I can't help but think Leo had inner blocks about receiving.

Those blocks showed up in his outer world by losing all he had. I could be wrong, but I really wonder if there was a connection between his refusing gifts and losing what he had.

Let's learn from Leo's mistake.

When someone offers you money, accept it.
When someone offers you a compliment, accept it.
When someone offers you any gift, joyfully welcome it.

If you refuse gifts, compliments, and money, you are closing a door on the prosperity that is trying to come to you. The key is to be in the flow. When you give and receive, you are participating in the flow of life.

After all, money has to circulate to do everyone any good.

Give it.
And when it returns to you, receive it.


2 Responses to "Leo Buscaglia's Big Mistake"

Unknown says
November 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Hello, my name is Rebekah Robinson and I am doing a project on Leo Buscaglia--the main focus is on his love classes, I have a question for you, did you ever attend any of his classes? If you could please contact me and let me know of any information about him that may give me a better perspective about who he was (especially if you knew him)--it would be vital to my project and very helpful. rebekah.orona@gmail.com
THANK YOU!!!!

Unknown says
August 20, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Great Blog Post. I was wondering about Leo's Private life and how he practiced love in his life...so cool that he returned the check what integrity. But I agree with the Blog Post, I am sure he was unaware of this wonderful lesson he could have taken in.

As he is the prime researcher on love and all of its aspects. What a wonderful story of how the flow of love was interrupted to prove his own point...very insightful. thankyou so much for posting. And I hope this project on Leo gets made there is not much out there about the man himself. I think that is the way he wanted it. Pretty cool guy. - IDalis